|On Sunday, September 24, 2006, the Museum of California Design's 2006 Henry Award honored Architectural Pottery. This company’s extraordinary contributions to American design are visible whenever you go to a commercial building, a bank, a gasoline station -- and many mid-century modern homes -- and see a large, unadorned white planter. Architectural Pottery introduced these and other quintessentially modern shapes to the American built landscape when it was established in 1950. They were in production until 1985.The impact of Architectural Pottery was felt from the company’s inception: Designs from its first catalog were selected for the New York Museum of Modern Art’s 1951 Good Design Exhibition. Architects, landscape architects and interior designers were the company’s principal customers. For example, Welton Becket Associates, architects of the Beverly Hilton Hotel, specified 200 Architectural Pottery pieces for the building and grounds when the hotel opened in 1957.
The 2Henry Award recognized the contributions to California design by the founders of Architectural Pottery, Max Lawrence, his late wife Rita, and the late John Follis: the company's designers Raul Coronel, David Cressey and John Follis: its executives Carl Bailey, Bill Hertel and Jerry Porter; graphic artist Jayme Odgers; and Barry Rosengrant, former president of Architectural Fiberglass. The award for the late John Follis, who designed the company’s award-winning logo, was accepted by his son, Grant Follis.
Julius Shulman, whose photographs document Architectural Pottery's importance in American design history, received an honorary award. An exhibition of Mr.Shulman’s photographs, Julius Shulman, Modernity and the Metropolis, was presented at the Getty Center in Los Angeles from October 11, 2005 to January 22, 2006.
Frances Anderton, host of 89.9 KCRW radio’s DnA: Design and Architecture, presented the awards. Anderton is the Los Angeles Editor for Dwell magazine and a contributor to the New York Times.
The Museum of California Design’s director, Bill Stern, was the master of ceremonies.